Posted in: News
How Older People can Avoid FallsEach year, one in three people aged over 65 will suffer a fall. There are a range of steps that can help prevent this from happening.
- Exercise. Exercises that develop strength and balance should be used after consultation with a health care provider and fitness expert.
- Move slowly. People should take their time when getting up from a chair or bed. They should be careful to gain their balance before proceeding.
- Eliminate clutter. Objects in the corridor and on staircases are a major cause of falls.
- Install non-slip mats. These should be used in the bathroom or anywhere else where water can accumulate.
- Avoid uneven flooring. Wrinkles should be smoothed out of carpets and tears should be repaired.
- Choose the right shoes. Shoes that are strong and well fitted should be chosen in place of thick-soled running shoes, slippers or high heels.
- Review medications. Some medications can cause a loss of balance and these should be discussed with a doctor to identify possible alternatives or coping strategies.